Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Books we love: The Mysterious Benedict Society


The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart is the story of a group of extraordinary children who work together to stop a group of bad guys, and in the process, become a family. While the book doesn’t directly involve art or craft, I’m including it here because it includes an incredible amount of ingenuity.
The children spend most of their time figuring things out: solving puzzles, deciphering clues, and determining unusual solutions to unusual problems. To me, that is the very nature of any creative endeavor. Art and craft are rarely about following the instructions to get a cookie-cutter finished product: they always become personal in some way. We use a different material, our color choices are purely our own, or we flat-out make something that doesn’t even resemble whatever inspired it
My kids and I thoroughly enjoyed Reymie, Constance, Sticky, and Kate’s adventures. Anyone who enjoys a clever conundrum is sure to enjoy this book. And bonus, it’s a whole series!
Oh, and it has A House. I love Houses.
And I really, really want Kate’s bucket.

No comments:

Post a Comment